President
The Free Homeowners’ Association of Maraix

Begin Forwarded Message: ---------------------------------------------------

Subject: exciting updates!
Date: Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 2:27 PM
To: HOA@lists.maraix.com

To my dear neighbors,

I’m most excited to share with you these updates from the board:
  • Ina’anara and Odette let me know that the winter stock of honey improved with a generous flow and they think we are going to have an even bigger harvest by the end of summer! I’m looking forward to a huge hive party come harvest time. MP will form the planning committee in November.
  • As you know, I left the island in July to represent the board at the 2020 Climate Conference (despite my feelings about public speaking), but the event was unfortunately cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances. Though I most looked forward to the sights and culture of Lauchenoiria, which I’ve never been, I’m treasuring the silver linings and spending extra time with my cousin on North Indigo. I’ll work here until I’m back on the island with the October shipment, when I'll catch up with all of you.
  • Last, but most important, Karen got an Inmarsat call yesterday from Leon, our beloved lawyer-friend-unicyclist extraordinaire, who’s been in Laeralsford since April working tirelessly on our island’s independence case. We don’t want to count our chickens before they hatch, but the board wants you to know a hearing was set for November 10th and Leon is CONFIDENT! Mark your calendars because this is the day EVERYTHING changes for ALL of US!!!

Look forward to seeing you soon,
April Mills-Orliff
Secretary
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass...it’s about learning how to dance in the rain. ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Last edited by Maraix on Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maraix
Ingénue

Re: The Free HOA of Maraix Listserv

Post by Maraix » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:09 am

Subject: FW: RE: RE: Maraix is Finally Ours
Date:Tuesday, November 10, 2020 at 11:34 PM
To: IDU Newswire

Karen thinks you’ll be interested in this. Not sure why she didn’t forward it herself.

Cheers,
MP Fune
Member-at-Large

Begin Forwarded Message: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: RE: RE: Maraix is Finally Ours
Date: Tuesday, November 10, 2020 at 7:06 PM
To: mp@maraix.com

MP,

You assured me I could toast this occasion, should it happen, with free scotch. Can’t believe I need to remind you of that.

Also, will you make an announcement to the IDU newswire? I’d ask April, but she’s busy with the list.

Karen Kreider
President

Begin Forwarded Message: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: RE: RE: RE: RE: Maraix is Finally Ours
Date: Tuesday, November 10, 2020 at 5:31 PM

Markus,

I’ll remove you and clean up the mailing list ASAP. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Friendly reminder to all: hit “reply” to respond to an individual, and “reply all” to message everyone.

April Mills-Orliff
Secretary
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass...it’s about learning how to dance in the rain.~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Subject: RE: RE: RE: Maraix is Finally Ours
Date: Tuesday, November 10, 2020 at 4:26 PM

is this a joke?
and why am I even on this list?? ? I sold my condo in JAN.
take me off!!1 what a joke .. .

Sincerely,
Markus

Subject: RE: RE: Maraix is Finally Ours
Date: Tuesday, November 10, 2020 at 4:11 PM

MP, no way, my heart goes out to you man. Ya got any of the good mead left?

Tim

Subject: RE: Maraix is Finally Ours
Date: Tuesday, November 10, 2020 at 3:55 PM

C’est top! Je savais que nous gagnerions!

--Clement

Date: Tuesday, November 10, 2020 at 3:28 PM

Rest assured both furbabies are with me and more tears down my face than yesterday’s rain.

April Mills-Orliff
Secretary
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass...it’s about learning how to dance in the rain.~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Date: Tuesday, November 10, 2020 at 3:23 PM

Karen, last shipment of scotch was a bust. Half the bottles broken. So no free scotch, ok? But I got a killer homebrew everyone’s welcome to, callin’ it “the maw island miracle.”

MP Fune
Member-at-Large

Subject: Maraix is Finally Ours
Date: Tuesday, November 10, 2020 at 3:17 PM

Dear Owner Citizens of Maraix,

I am so terribly happy to announce to all to you that Leon just called on the Inmarsat with absolutely momentous, wonderful, fantabulous news! The board was confident in this outcome, but didn’t want to say anything to the association without first getting Leon’s confirmation. So grab your grandbabes, children, loved ones, and furbabies tight, in case what I say knocks you right over:

The National High Court in Laeral just decided in the hearing that it does not have jurisdiction over the HOA’s legal filing, saying (I hope I got this right or Leon will let me have it): “Though the Municipal and Provincial courts handled civil filings related to the sale of the Maw Island, the establishing of land trust encompassing Maw Island its surrounding territory, and the incorporation of the HOA, the High Court recognizes that it did not actually have the jurisdictional authority to do so. Further, the High Court cannot rule on the contents of the CCC&R, as the documents must be filed in a court holding jurisdiction over the matter. It stands to reason, based on the evidence and documentation provided, that no court in Laeral holds this jurisdiction.”

What this means is that we are FREE! Laeral recognizes it doesn’t have jurisdiction over the island, as it agrees our historic founder was neither a French citizen nor native to High Fells. According to Leon, when the judge says, “...the documents must be filed in a court holding jurisdiction over this matter…,” that means us: our own court, in our own territory, in our own nation.

Let that sink in.
Isn’t it just kicky?!

Anyway, here’s what you need to know:
  • Henry (with a Y) and I are communicating with the government in Legionas. We have their support, but there’s a bunch of logistical matters we need to deal with: (A) Quarterly shipments– Laeral pre-paid Legionas for the January cargo drop, so it’s still on schedule. After that, who knows? The board will convene for an emergency session about this soon. (B) Boarding students – No worries about the high schoolers at the boarding school, tuition’s covered through the end of the term, but when they’re back in January, they’re back. The board will work with Legionas on negotiating for the next academic year. (C) Mainland professionals – We’ve been informed that these changes mean all our stationed mainland professionals (security, clinic, and primary school crews) will return to Legionas & Laeral with the January departure. The board will discuss this during the emergency session, too. I also think we should plan a going-away party, because we’ll miss them.
  • Per the CCC&R, this ruling makes fully actionable ALL recitals, articles, conditions, covenants, restrictions, etc., so everything we said was going to happen will, and we have a lot of work ahead of us. Expect more emails from the board soon and don’t forget: voting on association matters is mandatory! Don’t ignore official association notices!
  • Expect to hear from Henri (with an I) and Leon soon with an update re: taxes. They’ve been in touch with most of you, but not all, so please spread the word (though it impacts less than half of us) – if you think you owe taxes to Laeral, do NOT send over a single precious mark. Henri and Leon will let you know everything you need to know (hint: to NOT pay Laeral a cent).
  • Finally: MP told me that drinks are on him, tonight, at the Hook & Nail! Everyone, and I mean everyone, who is on the island, let’s meet down there at 7:00 and celebrate! I know I could use a scotch after this news.

Ecstatic regards,
Karen Kreider
President

Maraix
Ingénue

Re: The Free HOA of Maraix Listserv

Post by Maraix » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:37 pm

Subject: FW: RE: RE: RE: OFFICIAL: Ambassadors & Assembly Updates
Date: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 at 2:35 PM
CC: IDU Newswire

Kea,

Thanks for sending your comments to me. As President, I’m open to all feedback from the Association and I encourage everyone to get in touch, either with myself or through April, with comments and suggestions. Truly, every single thought counts.

Presidential appointments of honorary ambassadors and consuls are currently for one-year terms. These appointments will be renewed or terminated after this time at the discretion of the President.

I’m CC’ing the IDU newswire so they are also aware of these appointments.

Karen Kreider
PRESIDENT

Subject: RE: RE: OFFICIAL: Ambassadors & Assembly Updates
Date: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 at 1:53 PM

Karen, explain this, too, I’m most curious.

Sincèrement,
Henri Li
Treasurer

Subject: RE: OFFICIAL: Ambassadors & Assembly Updates
Date: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 at 1:49 PM

Karen,

When I say this, please understand I do so along with appreciation and respect, as the community owes much to your drive and gumption. Though there’s little surprise that the Marina Terrace board members chose to appoint their own children as these officials, I can’t argue against Hélène. She’s a good choice, she has impressive language skills, and many of us enjoyed meeting her when she vacationed here a couple years ago.

Why did you think it fit to make your 20-something son (who’s never visited) not just an island representative, but our ambassador to the very country we just left? Do we not have complex tax issues to sort out? And financial entanglements to disentangle?

Most mystifying is that you chose to make Chad the ambassador instead of Hélène, despite her professional experience and financial training – who best to sort through these monetary matters, don’t you think?

I believe I speak for others when I ask: can you please explain why you settled on these appointments?

Kea
K.Fune.Fine.Jewels

P.S. Is it also wise to appoint a consul to Xiomera right now? Or is that Huenya? Isn’t there a civil war going on?

Date: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 at 12:25 PM

Karen,

Many thanks for your quick update. I’m sure the community appreciates the prompt email, and I know I’m always impressed by your efficiency.

Warm regards,
April Mills-Orliff
Secretary

Date: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 at 12:20 PM

Thank you for the update, Karen. How old is your son?

~Dev

Subject: OFFICIAL: Ambassadors & Assembly Updates
Date: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 at 9:12 AM

Radiant morning, new citizens,

It is my pleasure to update you on a few things pertinent to the association:
  • OFFICIAL tag on emails: Please understand that whenever you see “OFFICIAL” in the subject line, this is an official statement from the Board of Directors requiring everyone’s prompt attention. This phrase is reserved for board member, high court, and legislator emails only.
  • Assembly Formation: All owners belong to the Body of Voters in the Assembly of Maraix. However, to get started, the assembly needs to form the Panel of Legislators. Per the CCC&R, Member-at-Large MP is the Board Liaison to the Assembly and will reach out soon to initiate its inauguration.
  • Ambassadors/Consuls: As your president, it is my humble responsibility to appoint ambassadors representing Maraix to the International Democratic Union. While these appointments are still ongoing, the board felt it important to make a few selections ASAP, as we need individuals who can act on our behalf now in certain nations (for example, to address visa questions and to reach out to those families identified in the CCC&R who qualify for expedited citizenship, but live elsewhere, etc.). I’ve selected 5 citizens who reside overseas to serve as Honorary Ambassadors and Honorary Consuls. Brief bios are below. Remember: they aren’t in embassies (yet), they don’t have full diplomatic status (yet), and we aren’t paying them because we don’t have the money (yet). So, send them a message thanking them for their service, won’t you?

Diplomatic Representation – Legionas

Auguste Kerouac (Honorary Ambassador, Bayview, Legionas): Many of you know Auguste, the son of Apōiti-Vex resident Max Kerouac, thanks to his frequent visits to the island. A professional boat mechanic and avid sailor, Auguste was a good choice for this appointment, thanks to his Legionite connections and practical knowledge of ship traffic to/from Maraix. As Honorary Ambassador, August is empowered to meet Legionite government representatives when ordered to do so by the board, exchange (though not open or alter) diplomatic correspondence between the board and Legionas, and act as an authorized observer on the board’s behalf.

Perpetua Toafa-Efu (Honorary Consul, North Indigo Island, Legionas): Referred to by many as “Mama Indigo,” Perpetua is a long-time resident of North Indigo island and the sister of Apōiti-Vex neighbors Placidia Toafa-Fune and Peone Toafa-Morrison. This appointment formalizes what Perpetua has long been doing, as she’s acted as the honorary mom to all our boarding students, helping them with travel, distributing care packages, and divvying out allowances. As Honorary Consul, Perpetua is ideally placed to assist with tourism, visa, and travel matters, given North Indigo’s location as the primary transport connection to Maraix.

Diplomatic Representation – Laeral

Chad Kreider (Honorary Ambassador, Laeralsford, Laeral): I can’t say too many good things about Chad, even though he is my son. Currently a student at West Summersea University in Lauchenoiria, Chad will start his ambassadorship in January 2021, when he begins a year study abroad at the Laeralian College of Finance. An International Business major with a 3.5 GPA, Chad has interned at Smoothie Shack and is a strong athlete, having trained with the West Summersea soccer team. Chad will respond to English and French inquiries (though he is more comfortable in English). As with Auguste, Chad will be the board’s representative, observer, and waypoint for the exchange of diplomatic communiqués.

Hélène Li (Honorary Consul, Hanshui, Laeral): Daughter of Marina Terrace residents Henri and Niu Li, Hélène brings a lot more to the table than simply being the daughter of our Treasurer. An accomplished actuary, she is precise, organized, and accurate, and is also an impressive polyglot, fluently speaking 4 languages (French, Mandarin, English, and Gaoese). As a consul, she will work in Laeral on tourism, visa, and travel issues, as well as provide assistance to our citizens in Laeral needing emergency help.

Diplomatic Representation – Xiomera

Xitlali Cuateco (Honorary Consul, Tlālacuetztla, Xiomera): The daughter of Marina Terrace residents Matlal and Jacinta Tuxpan, Xitlali is the CEO of EMP HUITECOC, the electric supply company founded by her father. Boasting excellent business connections, Xitlali will be of great help when we expand our tourism outreach, as the Canvalia Resort owners have expressed interest in increasing the number of Xiomeran visitors to the island. Please note that she can provide consular assistance in Huenyan and English only.

Warmest regards,
Karen Kreider
PRESIDENT