Interim Olympic Committee Thread (OOC-2020)

The Olympics! IDU Style.
Libertas Omnium Maximus
Speaker

Interim Olympic Committee Thread (OOC-2020)

Post by Libertas Omnium Maximus » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:54 am

I, Libertas Omnium Maximus, acting chair of this Olympic Committee, do establish this interim session to determine the fate of future IDU Olympiads.

Welcome (Back)!
Laddies and Gentlemen, it's been quite a long while since we last met. We did manage to pull off an Olympiad last fall. That's more than I was expecting back in 2018. With that in mind, I think a hearty congratulations to everyone who made the Olympiad possible is in order. I especially thank Shuell for all the hard work he put into simulating scores and writing up all of the results. All in all, I'd say the 2019(and 2020) IDU Olympics were a success.

Although the Olympics were quite enjoyable, they were far from perfect. The simple truth is that we completely overwhelmed Shuell with the event list. We clearly included about 60% more events than we reasonably should have expected Shuell to be able to handle. As a result, we had some major problems. My objective is to address those problems in this thread.

In addition to problems with the actual Olympiad, our Olympic Committee could probably benefit from some streamlining as well. Right now it seems to bureaucratic and dysfunctional.

The following are my objectives for this interim session
  • Think of ways to reduce the number of events while still maintaining a good variety of sports
  • Decide how to handle hosting in the future (multiple hosts, etc.)
  • Restructuring the IDUOC to make it more efficient
All are welcome to give feedback, make suggestions, and comment on any of the above topics (and any other related topics that I missed). Thank you.